The job of a copywriter or art director isn’t fun and it isn’t easy.
Jackasses often get the final say about whether our work runs or is even presented to a small group of people.
Genuine hacks often are given free rein to edit our work.
There is no honor in the advertising business.
Although you cannot create high level work without approaching it as an artist, you will not find yourself treated as an artist.
In short, you will not be able to love the job of advertising copywriter or art director as you would like to.
Do not fear.
Your desire is not muted.
This, i have found, is what can happen.
The process of creation is worthy of love and will return to you what you seek.
The workbook is both the repository of your work and the feeding mechanism for your brain in the process.
Do not waste your love on the business. It cannot meet you where an artist deserves to be met.
Love the process.
… wenn man mit toten Katzen im Tank fährt.
BERLIN (Reuters) – A German inventor has angered animal rights activists with his answer to fighting the soaring cost of fuel — dead cats.
Christian Koch, 55, from the eastern county of Saxony, told Bild newspaper that his organic diesel fuel — a home-made blend of garbage, run-over cats, and other ingredients — is a proven alternative to normal consumer diesel.
“I drive my normal diesel-powered car with this mixture,” Koch said. “I have gone 170,000 km (106,000 miles) without a problem.”
The Web site of Koch’s firm, “Alphakat GmbH,” says his patented “KDV 500″ machine can produce what he calls the “bio-diesel” fuel at about 23 euro cents (30 cents) a litre, which is about one-fifth the price at petrol stations now.
Koch said around 20 dead cats added into the mix could help produce enough fuel to fill up a 50-litre (11 gallon) tank.
But the president of the German Society for the Protection of Animals, Wolfgang Apel, said using dead cats for fuel was illegal.
“There’s no danger for cats and dogs in Germany because this practice is outlawed in Germany,” Apel told Bild on Wednesday in a story entitled “Can you really make fuel out of cats?”
“We’re going to keep an eye on this case,” Apel said.
Im Feuilletonteil der Zeit ist JG Ballard. Ballard schreibt Beckett-artige minimalistische, beklemmende Bücher, durch die man sich mitunter zwingen muß. Verwirrend, daliesque, neurotisch, nihilistisch, zynisch, bösartig, amoralisch. Everything a good book needs. Es kann tatsächlich niemanden besseren geben als diesen alten Herrn der literarischen Endzeit, um über New Orleans zu sprechen – ein Meistergriff der Zeit. Chapeau!
Hier ist nicht alles gut, aber absolut einiges sehenswert. Achtung: contains nudity.
At one point Friday, the evacuation was interrupted briefly when school buses pulled up so some 700 guests and employees from the Hyatt Hotel could move to the head of the evacuation line — much to the amazement of those who had been crammed in the Superdome since last Sunday.
“How does this work? They (are) clean, they are dry, they get out ahead of us?�? exclaimed Howard Blue, 22, who tried to get in their line. The National Guard blocked him as other guardsmen helped the well-dressed guests with their luggage.
The 700 had been trapped in the hotel, near the Superdome, but conditions were considerably cleaner, even without running water, than the unsanitary crush inside the dome. The Hyatt was severely damaged by the storm. Every pane of glass on the riverside wall was blown out.
Mayor Ray Nagin has used the hotel as a base since it sits across the street from city hall, and there were reports the hotel was cleared with priority to make room for police, firefighters and other officials.
Seine Rede, in der er als Bürgermeister von New OrleansmHilfe für seine Stadt verlangt, ist amerikaweit zensiert worden, im Internet in zahlreichen Blogs aber als MP3 und als Transkript verfügbar.
It’s politics. They’re out there spinning. They’re spinning for the cameras…
I don’t know what they’re doing I mean the air conditioning must be good…
I keep hearing that it’s coning this is coming and that is coming. And my answer to that is BS. Where is the beef….
These Goddmaned ships that are coming, I don’t see them….
I told him [Bush] that we have an incredible crisis here and that his flying over in Airforce One does not do it justice….
They don’t have a clue what’s going on down here. They flew down here one time two days after the doggone event was over with TV cameras, AP reporters, all kinda goddamn — pardon my French, everybody in America, but I am pissed….
I need reinforcement, I need troops, man, I need 500 busses… This is a national disaster. Get every doggon Grayhound bus line in the country and get their asses moving to New Orleans. They’re thinking small, man. This is a major, major, major deal….
It’s awful down here, man….
God is looking down on all this. And if they are not doing everything in their power to save people, they are going to pay the price. Because every day that we delay people are dying. And they’re dying by the hundreds…
They’re feeding people a line of bull and they’re spinning and people are dying down here…
I’m probably going to get in a whole bunch of trouble… they probably won’t even want to deal with me after this interview is over. But we authorized $8 billion to go to Iraq lickity-quick…. You mean to tell me that a place where most of your oil is coming through, a place that is so unique… you mean to tell me… that we can’t figure out a way to authorize the resources we need? Come on, man….
I don’t know whether it’s the governor’s problem. I don’t know whether it’s the president’s problem. But somebody needs to get their ass on a plane and figure this out….
I don’t want ot see anybody do anymore goodammned press conferences… Don’t do another press conference until the resources are in this city and then come to this city and stand with us…
It’s ridiculous. It’s too doggone late. Get off your asses and let’s do something and let’s fix the biggest goddamn crisis in the history of this country….
People are dying. They don’t have homes. They don’t have jobs. The city of New Orleans will never be the same. And it’s time.
> The interview ends with the mayor and his interviewers in silent tears.
… finden sich hier.
1. Men are obsessed with sex but will forego sex in order to watch football or drink beer.
2. Women are locked in a constant battle with their weight/body shape/hairstyle.
3. Career success is entirely based on your ability to impress your boss.
4. Mums are often harassed but NEVER depressed/unable to cope.
5. Any act of male stupidity (e.g. walking across a clean floor in muddy boots, putting the dog in the dishwasher, etc.) will be met with a wry smile, not genuine annoyance/anger.
6. Married men will flirt with other, younger women but NEVER act upon it.
7. Anyone with a scientific career will have a bad haircut and dreadful clothes.
8. If you work for the emergency services, you are a better person than the general population.
9. Elderly relatives NEVER suffer from senile dementia.
10. Scandinavians are, without exception, blonde and beautiful.
11. Women have jobs they never do in real life, e.g. dockworker (who looks like a model).
12. Children will not eat fruit or vegetables. Ever.
13. Both men and women find driving deeply pleasurable, never boring or stressful.
14. Men are inherently lazy/slobbish; women are the reverse.
15. Chocolate, however, will cause women to immediately fall into the languor of the opium eater.
16. High Street bank staff are (A) friends of the customers, and (B) of slightly above-average attractiveness (only if female).
17. Modern men own a cat.
18. Hot beverages have miraculous rejuvenating effects.
19. Professional people have strangely trivial preoccupations, e.g. a female barrister who is morbidly obsessed with finding a healthy snack bar.
20. All women (except stay-at-home housewives) have interesting and enjoyable careers.
21. Any over-the-counter medical product will work instantly and 100% effectively.
22. Children know more than adults.
23. Women never merely hop in and out of the shower, instead preferring to act out some sort of soapy Dance of the Seven Veils.
24. School is a happy experience for all children.
25. Tortilla chips are the most exciting experience any group of young people can experience.
26. Playing bingo is THE number one pastime among 18-25 year old British women.
auch via Infosthetics
SonicFabricist eine Art Kittel, der aus alten Audiobändern gemacht hat. Die Geräusche auf den alten Tapes werden hörbar, wenn man mit einem Tonkopf daran entlangfährt.via Information Aesthetics
Kyle Cooper ist der Mann, der unter anderem den kongenialen SEVEN-Vorspann gemacht hat und dabei irgendwie DaveMcKeans fiebernde Visuals in das bewegte Bild übersetzt hat. Seine Demoreel zeigt überraschend viele bekannte und gute Filmintros – oft besser als die dahinter stehenden Filme –, aber auch Arbeit im Werbe-Bereich.
So sieht es aus, wenn ein Schachcomputer den nächsten Zug kalkuliert. Beautiful.